Devil’s claw is the common name of the plant Harpagophytum procumbens. The herb is only found in the wild – and only in the Kalahari desert of Southern Africa and even now, it is a difficult plant to cultivate. The root of Devil’s claw is used in herbal remedies for the treatment of muscle and joint pains, backache and rheumatism.
Like all Devil’s Claw products, Atrosan® may cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Side effects of Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets are likely to be minor and take the form of digestive symptoms (feeling sick, stomach discomfort and digestive upsets such as sickness or diarrhoea, skin rash, itching, headache and dizziness).
1. Can I use Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets if I am on other painkilling medication?
Yes, Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets may be used with other pain relieving medicines.
2. Will Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets upset my stomach?
The use of Atrosan® is not commonly associated with stomach upsets or other digestive symptoms. However, some people may experience digestive symptoms as a side effect. If you suffer from a stomach or duodenal ulcer, do not use Devil’s Claw products such as Atrosan®.
3. How long will it take before I experience a benefit for my joints if I am using Atrosan® Devil’s Claw?
Everyone is different and the effect of medicines cannot be guaranteed. You should be able to feel for yourself if the product is helping you. If you do not feel the benefits of using this product after 8 weeks, or if your condition worsens, you should consult your doctor.
4. I don't have arthritis but suffer from joint and muscular pains. Can I use Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets?
Yes, you can take Atrosan® for joint or muscular pains. Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets is a traditional herbal remedy licensed as a rheumatism product for joint pain relief, including the relief of joint pain, muscular pain, knee, hip, elbow or shoulder pain and for treating lower back pain.
5. My doctor has said that I can’t take anymore of the painkillers that I’m on at the moment. Can I use Atrosan® for my arthritis?
Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets are not contraindicated with any other medication, including painkillers. If you would like the safety information to show your doctor then please get in touch with our Helpline staff, who will send it to you.
6. I have heard about people getting addicted to pain-killing medication. Is it possible to become addicted to Atrosan® tablets?
Atrosan® tablets contain an extract of Devil’s Claw, which is not associated with any addictive properties. There are no reports of addiction with this product and it is not something that we would expect to see with use of Devil’s Claw.
7. I am asthmatic and there are some painkillers I can’t take. Can I use Atrosan®tablets?
Yes. There are no problems for asthmatics with using Atrosan® Devil’s Claw tablets.